Monday, August 6, 2007

Weekend at Kooralbyn

Photo: Evan Jeffery


Photo: Evan Jeffery

I had another big week of training and still had a 12 hour race to come on Saturday. A visit to Rosanna Remedial Massage Thursday night sorted out my legs and all was set for Saturday’s race.

I arrived in Brisbane at 9.00am and met up with Craig Peacock. We picked up the hire car and headed off to Kooralbyn. We stopped briefly in Beaudesert for a hair cut (always good to support the local economy) and to pick up supplies.

By the time we reached Kooralbyn the temperature was climbing to the expected top of 27oC - very nice but a shock to the system.

After lunch we headed out to have a look at the race track. My first impression - fast, dry and hard like concrete. These were perfect conditions to test my new tyres from GKA Sports (GEAX Mezcal 1.90 a dry fast rolling race tyre.) before the worlds. The course was 11km long and didn’t have much climbing.

I had a good nights sleep and woke up early feeling ready to race. I didn’t know how the race would pan out so thought the best tactic would be to just ride tempo lap on lap off with Belle and see how things went.

The race started on time and I managed to get a good start behind Andrew Bell for the first lap. For the next 6 hours we did lap on lap off having fun trying to style it up for Even Jeffery who was their taking heaps of photos.

The next 6 hours the bike just seemed to roll faster and faster - Duncan from DIY MTB said it would take some hours of riding to run in the new enduro bearings. By 6pm it was time for lights. My new Enduro Blast light from Nightlightning turned night into day and made the last 3 hours no different from riding during the day.

Overall the race went exactly to plan and I had another win. My nutrition was perfect (special thanks to Dad and Marlene for taking time out from their holiday to feed me), my GIANT ADVANCE worked a treat and allowed me to finish the race in great shape and ready for the next one.

Thank you to Two Wheel Promotions, the volunteers and all competitors for an enjoyable event.

Next race is the 6 hour in Bendigo 12th of August.

2 comments:

Tim Bateman said...

Hi John,

I too am a fan of the Mezcal. Have you tried to run either the 2.1 TNT or HighPerformance as a tubeless tyre at all ? How did it go ?

Cheers,

Tim

Dave n Fel said...

Hi John,

I'm really keen on getting myself an Anthem 0, I'm about 172cm, is that a good height for a 16"?

Cheers,
Dave.