Friday, March 28, 2008

Nationals (part3)

After getting out of first aid i headed to the showers to clean up. Most people enjoy a shower but this was a painful and difficult experience. After my shower i collapsed in the pit tent on a bed that had been made up for me. I got up for a pee and felt really dizzy so i got Jeff to take me back to first aid - i knew something was wrong. It was clear i wouldn't make presentations so Jeff did the honours for me - making it look easy to get up on the podium after a 24 hour.


An ambulance was called and i was taken to hospital to be repaired. My wife who is 32 weeks pregnant had been up all night supporting me and was still at my side looking after me. I couldn't do what i do without her, what we do is such a team effort.


Diagnosis:
*Severe dehydration, replace fluid with 6 bags overnight.

*Xrays all clear no broken bones.

*CK level 5500 (100 is normal) this is muscle stress

*Tribonin (not sure if this is the correct spelling) levels in the blood. Not good as this could be heart tissue.

*ECG freaked them a little my heart is not normal - i have what they call an athlete's heart.

*No skin on bottom. Even made the nurse turn away.

The ECG and the blood levels were enough for the doctors to insist on an overnight stay in hospital. After re-checking my bloods the next morning they were satisfied i was well on the mend and i was able to make my flight home.

Congratulations to Jason English on his National title and all other competitors who pushed us to our limits. I gave it everything on the day and am wrapped with my result.


A huge thank you needs to go to my supprt crew:


*My Dad George and Marlene for driving the equipment and packing everything up.
*Kate's parents Jenny and Laurie for looking after Mitchell
*Jeff Williams who fed me and worked on my bikes during the race and stood in at presentations
*My wife Kate who is tireless in her support of my activities

My sponsors:
GIANT: my 2 Anthem Advances performed perfectly throughout the race
NIGHTLIGHTING: my Enduro blasts gave me the brightest lights on course. ( Fastest night lap)
GKA sports: For tyres (Baro races), pump and gas bombs, Tuff gloves.

SKINS: For compression clothing for the race and recovery after.

DIY MTB: For Superior ceramic bearings and fork seals.

No comments: