Monday, September 3, 2007

24 Hour World Championship MTB Race

Well the 24 hour championships have been raced. The team had mixed results with some outstanding achievements. There were 3 age group world titles won by Australians and a number of podium finishes. They were Joel Denny under 25, Jeff Toohey 30-35 and Craig Peacock defending his title 40-45.

For me it didn’t turn out the way we would have liked but that’s racing. I felt great on the start line, ready for a good performance. I was first in from the run and lead them out on the first lap. The pace was set so I backed of a little. Kelly went up the road about half way round the first lap and I remember saying “I’II see you later” to which Tinker replied “no you won’t” and went off after him. My heart rate at this stage was 184bpm and it was 30+degrees, so I had no choice but to back off. They put time into me for about the next 6 hours but then I was holding and by midnight I had the gap at about 12 minutes and was still feeling good in third and confident I would catch them.

Unfortunately I had used too much endura in training before the race and we ran out by Midnight. Then at about 2am my battery ran out as I was heading out so I had to go back to the pits for a new one. When thing stuff up they really stuff up. Kate was over picking up my drink bottle and the battery I grabbed was dead, so back to the pits to try again. This time I got it right. About half way round that lap I just lost it in the head. Carl had found me wondering the track and walked me back to pit lane (Many thanks).

I take full responsibility for what happened and make no excuses. For the race I feel I peeked perfectly but on the day they were better. In all races there are critical points in them you either get it right or it’s over. For me midnight was this point as I was gaining time on 1st and 2nd .To run out of endura was a big mental blow. The next was the battery incident. These two blows where just too much for me to deal with at the time, the lesson to learn: make sure they don’t happen as it is too critical for success.

I am disappointed I didn’t tough it out and hang on for 3rd but it didn’t happen. For now I will take a well earned break and then look at the next lot of races - who knows maybe next year everything will go perfectly and I will be able to hold it together. Never give up and stay focused on your dreams. Finally congratulations to Tinker who at 47 has won his 1st World Title.

I would like to thank all my sponsors and people that made this possible. They were:
GIANT BIKES perfect bikes (light and responsive), NIGHTLIGHTNING (long range even spread light perfect for those fast fire road descents), GKA Sports (fastest tires I’ve ridden), D.I.Y MTB (fast, smooth bearings), My incredible wife Kate for her support, Rob who looked after my bikes, Jeff’s shed for his overall body conditioning, Craig Peacock who showed me a way to monitor training and how to peak for an event, Rosanna Remedial Massage, The Australian Brick and Blocklaying Training Foundation, and our families.

5 comments:

Unknown said...

I have nothing but respect and amazement at what you've achieved John. Even when things go wrong you still finished 18th IN THE WORLD(!!!) in what must be the most grueling sport I can imagine.

Hold your head high mate, you've done us all proud!

Mike

DIY MTB said...

Good onya John. There's no shame in trying your best, and in that company ...

I, like most, couldn't even imagine being there, let alone giving it such a good shake.

jenny said...

Congrats Johnnie we are so proud of you'r acheviements. You have trained so hard it is time now to kick back and enjoy your holiday. As no dounbt when you return home you will be right back into it training hard for the next one!
Paul is looking forawrd to a beer on your return to toast your amazing results.

Scott Liston said...

John your a real trooper. We're proud of your efforts, you put in so much hard work, but sometimes lifes a Bitch. You clearly deserved better.

Have a great (well deserved) break and cant wait to see you halling ass once again back here in Aus

ScottyL

Ann-Michel said...

Hi John,

I think you are amazing! Congratulations on a great effort. You trained so hard and did your best on the day - I have major respect for you.
Have a great holiday and I hope to see you at Jeff's soon!
Ann-Michel x