Monday, May 11, 2009

The future.

It has been pending for some time now, that i would have to back off from riding and racing. With life changing and different priorities i have decided to stop racing and now just ride socially.

I was riding at the nationals this year at Easter and about 8 hours into the race i was feeling good and happy to bee in 2nd. But as in 24hour racing if you think about what you are doing it is over.

I was thinking about a few things one and most important was do i really want this. The answer was no. I never started racing and riding these events to win or to be the best. For me it was all about seeing how far i could push myself and enjoy it. I was lucky enough to be very competitive at the same time. Looking back, last years National 24 hour i found out how far i could push myself. Since then racing hasn't been the same. I now know how far i can push my body and with a young family the risk is to great, i suppose until you do a 24 hour and end up in hospital you don't truly understand.

Anyway new trails are still begging to be discovered and I look forward to some non competitive trail blazing with friends. So here is a list of the best products i have used through my racing life:

Lights: Nightlighting blast. Up datable every year and the more than enough light.

Tyres: Geax Sagauro , the best around tyre ever.

Supplements: Ascend sport protein

Clothing: Skins most comfortable cycling Knicks as they don't stretch over a 24 hour race
and become loose.

Shoes: Shimano custom fit shoes.

Grips: Ergon ergonomic grips. Better control and comfort.

Bike: Giant anthem advance.

So a big thank you to all my sponsors and support network for all you have done for me over the years, they are: Nightlighting, Ascend, Giantbikes, GKA sports, Skins, Ergon grips, Shimano, Jeff Williams (Strength and Conditioning for all.) and Warren Keys(Melbourne Bicycle Centre Clifton Hill.)

2 comments:

Unknown said...

The Australian Enduro scene, and for that matter the WORLD scene will be the poorer from your absence. I often use you as an example John as one of the best riders I've ever seen up close.
All the best mate, and I know your contribution to making our sport more professional, will be a legacy.

Cheers... Norm Douglas

Brad Davies said...

John - as a late entrant to this sport (ie a year ago) I credit you with getting me interested in 24-hour racing while riding up Tawonga/Buffalo/Hotham. I did my first 24 a month or so ago and know that if I hadn't met you I wouldn't have been inspired to do it. Good luck with the recovery and hope you can keep riding socially for a long time to come.

Brad Davies