Friday, January 25, 2008

Increasing Pain Tolerance. (Removing fingernails.)

This week i started to put some intensity into my training. Thursday night crits at Westgate Park would have been a good start.

During the week i received some new light weight tubeless tires from Geax to test. During the process of putting them on the bike for the crit i increased my pain tolerance. While i was doing up the back wheel skewer i managed to insert my thumb into the rear disc while the wheel was spinning. The result was the complete removal of my thumb nail. Breaking out into a full sweet i calmly walked inside to show and explain to Kate what i had just accomplished.

Kate took me down to the doctor, who patched me up. He also said that there would be no riding tonight. If you know me this is not an option, after all i am "tough as nails".

There was a change in the training plan though as i would not be able to make it to the start of the crit. There was really only one option left and that was to go out on the Tour of the Burgs to test my legs a little. All in all this was a satisfactory alternative and has me really excited about the year ahead.

2 comments:

the word of God speaks said...

wowo sounds like that could hurt

Some Guy said...

Ouch! I have to confess to having done exactly the same while aligning a caliper once. Same result, bye bye fingernail. The bright side is it does heal up pretty well.